Peter Grant-Hutchison is recommended in the current editions of both Chambers UK and Legal 500 for his expertise in Employment Law. 'Peter Grant-Hutchison of Terra Firma Chambers is very good with the client and is down to earth' (Chambers UK, 2015). 'Broadly experienced in all areas of employment law, he has acted in some of the largest Scottish cases concerning redundancies and TUPE transfers. He is extremely smart, results-focused and not afraid to test out legal arguments for clients (Chambers UK, 2014). His 'knowledge of employment law is extensive; he is always fully up to date, and his presentation of cases at the tribunal or in court is first rate' (Legal 500, 2013). 'Peter Grant-Hutchison boasts a stellar reputation in Scotland thanks to his decades of experience in employment law' (Who's Who Legal UK Bar 2015).
Peter called to the Bar in 1988 and has become an established specialist in Employment Law and Personal Injuries Litigation. He also has extensive experience of Fatal Accident Inquiries and Judicial Reviews. He has a special interest in all forms of competition and control law, including restrictive covenants.
Representing and advising both employers and employees, Peter's practice encompasses all aspects of Employment Law, such as Unfair Dismissal, Discrimination, Trade Union Victimisation, National Minimum Wage Act and Equal Pay Act claims. Peter has appeared in many forums up to and including the House of Lords.
- Part-Time Sheriff
- Part-Time Immigration Judge
- Part-time MHTS Judge
- Member of the Competition Commission Appeals Panel
- Part-Time Chairman of the Appeals Service
A small selection of cases of special interest in which he appeared:
- I. Donaghy -v- Royal Bank of Scotland (Court of Session, Inner House) Extra Division, 24 October 2013: appeal relating to sex discrimination and unfair dismissal (2014) IRLR p25
- McLaughlin -v- The new Housing Association (Appeal to Sheriff Principal relating to void contracts) 2007 GWD 13-273
- Miklaszewicz -v- Stolt Offshore Ltd Court of Session (Inner House - first "whistleblowing" appeal in Scotland) 2002 SC p232
- King -v- Eaton Ltd (No.2) Court of Session (Inner House - selection for redundancy) 1999 SLT 656
- Strathclyde RC -v- Wallace House of Lords 1998 SC (HL) 72 - Equal Pay Act appeal.