Steven Walker is recommended in the current editions of both Chambers UK and Legal 500 for his expertise in international arbitration. 'Steven Walker has a wide commercial practice with a focus on construction and engineering disputes in the offshore energy sector.' ''His written work is excellent. He completely understands how to communicate with the client to make them feel at ease.'' (Chambers UK, 2015). He is 'very experienced in international arbitration and a good legal brain.' (Legal 500, 2014).
Steven Walker is a leading advocate, barrister and attorney. He is an international commercial lawyer with a specialisation in international arbitration, energy, commercial disputes, construction and engineering.
Early in his career, he worked in the international arbitration group of Allen & Overy. Since then, Steven has developed an extensive international arbitration practice and now acts as lead counsel in multiple ad hoc and institutional international arbitrations conducted in many countries around the world and subject to a wide variety of governing substantive and procedural laws. He has built a formidable reputation acting in international energy cases involving exploration and production disputes, engineering, procurement and construction disputes, power purchase disputes as well as a whole range of commercial/corporate disputes concerning joint venture agreements, shareholders agreements and other financial and commercial agreements.
Steven called to the Scottish Bar in 1999, to the Cayman Islands Bar in 2007 and to the English Bar in 2008. He has been an accredited Mediator since 2003 and became an accredited arbitrator in 2011. He was appointed an ad hoc Advocate Depute in 2007 (criminal court prosecutor) by the Lord Advocate (Head of the Scottish Prosecution Service) and has prosecuted serious offences for the Crown including attempted murder and armed robbery. Steven also holds a public appointment from the Scottish Government to sit as a Tribunal Judge.
He was made an Honorary Fellow of the University of Edinburgh in 2009, an Honorary Lecturer of the Centre for Energy, Petroleum, Mineral Law & Policy, University of Dundee in 2011 and appointed Seminar Director & Lecturer on the Professional Seminar Training Programme of the Energy Studies Institute, National University of Singapore 2014. He lectures frequently on energy disputes, law and policy all over the world.
Steven is co-author of the leading international book ‘Pleading in Arbitration - A Practitioner's Guide' published by Sweet & Maxwell/Thomson Reuters 2012.
He is also a member of Stone Chambers.
He resides in London, England and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Commercial Law
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Oil & Gas
- Renewable Energy (onshore and offshore)
- Construction & Engineering
- International Trade, Trade Finance & Commodities
- Marine Insurance
- International Commercial Arbitration
- International Investment Arbitration
Steven is an accredited Public Access Barrister and can be instructed directly.
- Appointed Ad Hoc Advocate Depute by the Lord Advocate 2007 to date.
- Appointed Chairman of the Private Rented Housing Panel 2006 to date
- Appointed member of Geneva Petroleum Club 2014
- Appointed member of the Global Academic Faculty of the Centre for Energy, Petroleum, Mineral Law and Policy (CEPMLP), University of Dundee in 2008
- Appointed Principal lecturer on the International Arbitration LLM at the University of Edinburgh 2009
- Appointed Honorary Fellow of the University of Edinburgh 2009
- Appointed Honorary Lecturer of the Centre for Energy, Petroleum, Mineral Law and Policy (CEPMLP), University of Dundee in 2011
- Seminar and Course Director for CEPMLP arbitration conferences and professional seminars
- External PhD Examiner CEPMLP 2011
- Appointed Seminar Director & Lecturer on the
Professional Seminar Training Programme of the Energy Studies Institute, National University of Singapore 2014
- International Chamber of Commerce United Kingdom National Committee
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration
- Stockholm Chamber of Commerce
- Co-Author of leading book ‘Pleading in Arbitration - A
Practitioner's Guide', Sweet & Maxwell/Thomson Reuters, 2012.
- Numerous articles and papers on commercial law.