The Arbitration (Scotland) Act 2010 brings Scottish domestic and international arbitration up to date and Scotland now benefits from having all Scottish domestic and international arbitration law in one accessible and user friendly piece of legislation.
With the 2010 Act, parties both in Scotland and abroad, may have their differences resolved by an arbitration process which can be quicker and more cost-effective than litigation. At an international level arbitrating in Scotland offers a quality service at considerably less cost than the traditional arbitration centres of London, Paris, Geneva and New York.
Terra Firma Chambers is very well placed to offer parties to a dispute the advantages of:
- More specialist arbitration Advocates than any other Chambers or Stable at the Scottish Bar
- Advocates with experience of acting as arbitrators and accredited by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in London
- Advocates qualified in the Scottish mixed civil/common law system who are uniquely placed to understand both legal cultures
- Advocates with hands-on practical experience of a wide variety of ad hoc and institutional domestic and international commercial arbitrations
- Some Advocates with experience in investment arbitration
- Advocates with experience of decision-making holding appointments as temporary judge, part-time sheriff or tribunal judge
- More arbitration academics than any other Chambers or Stable at the Scottish Bar
- More English law dual qualified Barrister members than any other Scottish Chambers or Stable
- Cost effective legal services - at all levels, such as advising on the drafting of contractual documents, drafting pleadings and submissions, as well as appearing as counsel and acting as arbitrator
- Urgent advice and on call service where necessary, whether by seeking interdicts ad interim (interim relief) or intervening to sist (stay) court actions raised in contravention of an arbitration agreement
We have a number of members who are able to advise on all aspects of the law of arbitration and to act for and represent parties at domestic and international arbitrations. Several of our members have contributed to recently published textbooks on arbitration.
We also provide members who are available for appointment as arbitrators under the TFArb service. Please contact a member of our clerking team for further details of our members who have experience of conducting arbitrations or acting as arbitrators.
Members of Terra Firma Chambers with Arbitration experience: